Monday, April 11, 2011

Dumpster Diving




God doesn't make trash. Bottom line. End of story. We may feel used up at times, beaten down, dirty, shameful, crazy even, but we are not trash. He doesn't make trash.

I found this little piece of glass by a dumpster today. Why am I hanging around dumpsters you ask? Well, I wanted to find some things that people had thrown away and take pictures as examples of beautiful objects posing themselves as trash.

But then when I got near the trash cans, I realized that there was no need to pull something special out of the trash, because it could all be special. Even something as simple as the rough edged, broken piece of glass.

In fact, this little piece of glass mirror was more of a reflection of my life than anything else I could have found. Plus it was laying on the ground, and the shiny caught my eye, I like shiny things, LOL!

I wonder how often God walks by our lives and sees something shiny. We may be broken. The world may have thrown us out with the trash. But God sees a treasure.

He picks us up, dusts us off, writes his word on our hearts, and with time, makes the rough places smooth.

You are not trash my darling, no matter what you have been through, no matter what anyone tells you, or what you tell yourself. You are not trash. Do not give up on yourself. You are treasured by God Almighty, and who else do we need to be treasured by other than the creator of the universe. He is your shelter. He is your Father. Your help, ever present, in your darkest hour, He is there.

Sometimes we may feel His presence thick, like a soft warm blanket that envolops the heart of our soul. But...sometimes it feels as if He has abandoned...I felt this way myself some this week.

What do we do when we feel abandoned by the very one who is supposed to never leave us alone? I am really seeking some wisdom from God's word on this, and hope to share later this week, pending the moving of the spirit that is.

Love you girls!

Isaiah 42:16 "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

13 comments:

  1. that I remain blind so that I will need Him to lead me..I love that verse. I am studying Isaiah right now. I am finding the only thing I can do is claim His word. I know it is powerful, sharper,doesn't come back void etc. that is all I am finding helpful when I am riding the roller coaster of feelings. Like you, today when something good happens things start rearing their heads trying to steal the joy. But I keep telling myself I am deserving of happiness and it is ok to have something good happen to you. Does that make sense? I will be praying for the Holy Spirit to annoint your days and sing songs to you in the night...thank you for being my friend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that I really appreciate you posing a question that you don't know the answer to...yet. I am struggling with some of the OT and haven't figured out how to formulate a blog post about it, but you just put it out there. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffini!!!! THank you for prayers! I look forward to the singing I know I will heart tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen...I think I am discovering more and more that there is beauty in the mystery of God. What fun is it to be around a know it all anyways? LOL! Sometimes I think it is okay not to know the answers, but to trust God enough to know that He will provide them in His perfect timing, and His perfect way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days I need this reminder. Just because something is broken does not make it trash. That is what I got from your post. My heart so needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the hardest things for some of us to remember when the world is telling you daily you are worthless. We are not! Like you said, God does not make trash and we are created in his image. Beautifully stated :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when Jonah says, even when he can't find God on the east or the west . . .God knows the way we take. (Sorry can't find the reference.)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, lovely! Super perspective giver. I'll remind myself next time I look in a mirror. :)

    Have you heard Beautiful Things by Gungor? I think you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written and so very true. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's comforting to me to know that God sees further than I do. He sees the unfamiliar places, the dark places and places that need smoothed. Isaiah 45:2 puts it this way, "I will go before you and make the crooked places straight." I've claimed that promise many times!

    With thanksgiving,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not junk or trash...beautiful daughters of the King... Thanks for your beautiful words today!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "What do we do when we feel abandoned by the very one who is supposed to never leave us alone?" A thought...believe anyway, despite how we feel. Because, no matter what we think, He is...simply, is...and always will be (fill in the blank, "faithful", "constant", etc.). On a practical note, if I get into a despair place, I will read Scripture. Over and over and over. I find that it seeps into me and comes out when I need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa...I'm thinking it was no coincidence that you gained this super inspiration from a dumpster. Providence? Yup! Well written...thanks so much for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete