Friday, August 13, 2010

Obedience

Why is it that we want so badly what is so not good? Wouldn’t life be more simple if we just craved what was good for us? Like broccoli and water and whole wheat bread. If we never wanted to watch that show that glorifies having sex with multiple partners, or if we never wanted to hang on to that person or thing that we know is hindering growth. What to do, what to do…?

Obedience. That is the word of the day, or maybe even should be the word of the year, or even my lifetime. Obedience. We all know that God only wants what is best for us, that he would withhold no thing that would bless us, but yet we seek what we know will not bless us. I often crave these things like some type of weird addiction.

Obedience, how do I get there? Maybe we could start by working on the trust issue. If we really believe that he wants what is best for us, would it be easier to obey? Maybe? So then our prayer becomes, help me overcome my unbelief. Help me to believe that you always have my best interest at heart, and then when I face the temptation I can walk away knowing that you have something better in mind.

In case you can’t tell, I have had a battle with this obedience thing this week. There is something in my life that served a purpose for a time, something I needed for the time. But, lately God has been telling me, “see I am doing a new thing”. But I am struggling to let go of the comfort of the old thing, so He can do the new thing. Fear is what it boils down to. I am asking, “God if I give this up, can I trust you to fill this need for me”. In my mind I know that I can, but wrapping my heart around that is a completely different thing. The heart is definitely deceitful above all else, so well, I guess then I need to ask God to take my heart. To help me overcome my unbelief, and help my heart to rest knowing He can meet the need, He can surpass the need. Is God enough for me? Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment