Sunday, September 19, 2010

Warm Fuzzies

Ephesians 4:17-18
“So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.”

Sometimes I feel distance from God. It is not something I like to feel. As someone who harbors some abandonment wounds, feeling distance from God is almost unbearable for me. Be it distance that is self-induced because of sin in my life, or just a season where I don’t feel God quite as strong as I have before, distance is just not something I like. I like to feel God laying on me like a thick cozy comfy warming blanket, I like the warm fuzzies . But over the past week, there have been no warm fuzzies to be found!

Has God worked some miracles in the lives of those around me over the past few weeks? Yes he has! Have I seen some prayers answered? Yes I have! Do I know that God is still here and listening? Yes I do! But I want me some fuzzies!
So…I found the verse that is listed at the top of this post. And felt the need to desperately dig into it. So…if you want…you can dig in with me…and we will see what we can find!
In verse 17 Paul pleads with us, insists of us, not to live in futile thinking, purposeless-useless thinking. Ah-ha! I definitely do me some useless thinking, in fact if I am honest, I do me some downright harmful thinking. Trashing myself, trashing others, getting angry and resentful. Yep…not only do I engage in some silly purposeless thoughts, I engage in some downright icky thoughts. So, a step toward the warm fuzzies, clean up my thought life!

Okay, moving on to verse 18. “They are separated from the life of God because of the ignorance (willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire) that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts”. Ah-ha again! Ignorance-ignoring knowledge which is right in front of me. I have an entire book of knowledge sitting on my nightstand called the Bible, ummmhmmm, I must confess I am not reading it as much as I was. And is it due to the hardening of my heart, an unyielding unpenetrable heart? Well, um, yea, it could be. I have always struggled with unbelief. That is, struggled with the fact that the things I read in the bible are true. Yea, it says God works together for the good, and that he loves me, but really? I thought I had a soft-squishy heart, but I think it is a little hard! I am not letting the truth that I do read penetrate the depths of my heart!

So…if I want my warm fuzzies back, I know what I have to do! Isn’t it awesome that God really has a plan for everything we need, and will lead us just to the verse we need to get back on track. Clean up my thought life, read the bible, pray for help in overcoming my unbelief, and let what I read penetrate my heart and change my live = warm fuzzies (no more separation from God)! I am on the way to getting my warm fuzzies back!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Psalm 19 is a good chapter to read, there's a part in there that says His Word is better than honey and more valuable than gold. So true! :) And 2 Corinthians 10:5 is a good verse to meditate on for cleaning up thoughts. I have started memorizing a verse a week... one that I feel like God is trying to teach me, that I need to apply to my own life. And knowing His Word has definitely helped me fight Satan!

    ReplyDelete