Wednesday, March 10, 2010

If you have been set free, my dear, you are free indeed

Confession of sin is a beautiful thing. There is nothing quite like it. To know that we can bring all of our wrongs to the foot of the cross-and not only can we bring them to the foot of the cross, we can leave them there, and know 100% full well that they are forgiven.

On the other hand, living with the guilt of sin can be unbearable. The same hand that lifts us up beyond our circumstances can also sit heavy upon us.
In Psalm 32:5 it says that he confessed his sin to the Lord, and that God not only forgave his sin, but forgave the GUILT of his sin. So many times we struggle with the fact that we know that Christ has forgiven our sins, but still we continue to fester and wallow in the guilt.

Did you know you don’t have to do that? Did you know that you don’t have to carry that guilt around? Did you know that God doesn’t want you to carry that guilt around? Once sin is honestly and humbly confessed and repented of, you are forgiven, and freed from guilt. That is, unless you CHOOSE to let guilt continue to oppress you.

Guilt can be a nasty little monster. It tells you things like, “I know God forgives you, but can you really forgive yourself?” Guilt can bring about so much bondage, it can tie us up and hold us down for good if we let it.
The truth is that when we confess sins he will surround us with songs of deliverance, even counsel us, and comfort us, and guide us in the direction we should go if we let him. If we are willing to put down the yoke of guilt, and believe that what he says is true. After all, who are we to think that God can forgive us, but we can’t forgive ourselves, are we of a higher moral standard than God, surely not.
In Psalm 32:11 David has just confessed a great deal of sin, and then he is not only forgiven, but he rejoices in the Lord. He is SURROUNDED with songs of deliverance, that doesn’t sound like a man who is burdened by guilt to me. And we don’t have to be burdened by it either. When sin has been truly and honestly confessed, don’t let Satan continue to beat you over the head with it. As Beth Moore has said, Christ came to set the captives free, but Satan came to take the free captive. Don’t let him take you into captivity, those whom the Savior have set free are free indeed. It is my prayer for all of us today, that we are surrounded with beautiful songs of deliverance. May we be a walking example of the freedom we have inherited as sons and daughters of Christ.

Psalm 32
Of David. A maskil. [a]
1 Blessed is he
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the man
whose sin the LORD does not count against him
and in whose spirit is no deceit.
3 When I kept silent,
my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night
your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was sapped
as in the heat of summer.
Selah
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD "—
and you forgave
the guilt of my sin.
Selah
6 Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you
while you may be found;
surely when the mighty waters rise,
they will not reach him.
7 You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Selah
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked,
but the LORD's unfailing love
surrounds the man who trusts in him.
11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous;
sing, all you who are upright in heart!

0 comments:

Post a Comment